Follow us on Facebook.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014


DANVILLE, Mo. - Residents and neighbors of a small western Montgomery County town burned by Confederate guerrillas during the Civil War will commemorate the 150th anniversary of that occasion with a special public event, "Danville Day," from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, October 4, 2014.

The small historic community's program in collaboration with the Montgomery County Historical Society will include tours and talks at historic sites, displays and demonstrations by crafters and artisans, live music, visits by re-enactors (though no battle re-enactment) and rides on tractor-pulled trolleys. Admission is free; attendees will receive a free commemorative wooden nickel.

Danville is the first eastern stop on the Gray Ghosts Trail Civil War driving trail that proceeds west along I-70 to Williamsburg and into Callaway County to Boone County (including Centralia) to Boonville and Marshall. The tour sponsored by Missouri's Civil War Heritage Foundation features almost 30 carefully researched and visually appealing interpretive panels.

Two panels outside the antebellum Danville Female Academy tell how Capt. William T. "Bloody Bill" Anderson's guerrillas attacked and burned Danville on the night of October 14, 1864, but pointedly spared the academy building. The guerrillas had staged their assault from the village of Williamsburg, the "Gateway to the Boone's Lick," just to the west in Callaway County.

Danville Female Academy

Visitors on Danville Day will get a glimpse inside the academy. They are also welcome to visit the handsome Baker Plantation House, where they can view a room including original period furnishings. Owned by a Republican (and Unionist) state legislator and slaveholder, the house was one of few structures surviving the 1864 fire. A Baker descendant will be on hand to answer questions.

Baker Plantation House

Likewise, visitors can get a rare look inside a large, old log cabin (since refurbished and covered with clapboard) that was built on the original Boone's Lick Road through Danville, as well as see a cabin currently being reconstructed in the community and perhaps view a historic cemetery.

Volunteers for the day include genealogists and regional historians. Joe Crane of Crane's Museum in Williamsburg will talk about his community's experience during the raid as well as Williamsburg's role on the Boonslick Road. In Williamsburg, Crane's Museum and Marlene's Restaurant will be open all day from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., the landmark Crane's General Store from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Williamsburg is also home to the Gray Ghosts Trail Inn bed and breakfast (

Danville is just off Interstate 70 at exit 170 on Mo. Route 161. For more information, contact Oleta Edwards, (573) 289-8768.

Sunday, July 13, 2014


CALWOOD, Mo. - A memorial to as many as two dozen Confederate and Union dead from the Battle of Moore's Mill will be dedicated near Calwood at 1 p.m. Sunday, July 27, 2014. The men are buried in a mass grave on private property generously set aside for the memorial by owner Gus Guthrie after the site was identified by the Elijah Gates Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. The Fulton-based camp raised funds for the engraved stone monument and is hosting the dedication event.

The event featuring both Union and Confederate re-enactors - as well as descendants of men whose units fought in the battle - will occur the day before the 152nd anniversary of the sharp fight pitting nearly 1,000 dismounted cavalry in which Union troops under Col. Odon Guitar defeated the Confederate force of Col. Joseph C. Porter.

The dedication is free and open to the public on the property on State Road Z about six miles northeast of Fulton; it is also about one mile southwest of the State Rds. Z/JJ intersection in Calwood. Parking will be available at the site.

The dedication will be emceed by Gates Camp Commander and Chaplain Noel A. Crowson and Lt. Cmdr. Banning Fitzpatrick. The ceremony will include a bagpiper, honor and color guards and Civil War- replica cannon.

A booklet including biographies of soldiers killed in the battle will be sold at the site. An after-reception with refreshments is tentatively planned by the Reuben H. Bullard Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Kingdom of Callaway Civil War Heritage dedicated a pair of interpretive panels about the Battle of Moore's Mill on the Gray Ghosts Trail, July 28, 2012, at the Bryant Liddle property on State Rd. JJ just ¾ mile south of the intersection of JJ and Z in Calwood. You will find a report and photos from that event - as well as from a 2014 battlefield archeological dig - on this Web site under "Past Events" as well as under "Moore's Mill panel" under the "Home" tab.

The Elijah Gates Camp SCV sponsored a confirming ground-penetrating scan of the Moore's Mill battle mass grave site on April 5, 2013. The test was conducted by Ground Penetrating Radar Systems Inc.

 Elijah Gates Camp SCV & Boy Scouts

The Elijah Gates & Joseph C. Porter Camps, Sons of Confederate Veterans, and Boy Scouts honor guard at the Gray Ghosts Trail dedication of Battle of Moore's Mill interpretive panels, Calwood, Mo. ,July 28, 2012.

Link to Columbia Tribune Article

This Web site includes a brochure/map to Callaway sites on the Gray Ghosts Trail. "The Kingdom Comes to Callaway," a historic panel on the Gray Ghosts Trail in front of the Heart of Missouri Tourism Center in Kingdom City - seven miles north of Fulton at the junction of Interstate 70 and US 54 - is sited right along the sweep of the October 1861 drama. Either the tourism center or Fulton make excellent jumping-off points for Callaway adventures.

For more information, call the Kingdom of Callaway Historical Society, 573-642-0570. Ample accommodations exist in Kingdom City, Holts Summit and Fulton, which features two Victorian-era bed and breakfasts. Consult or call the Heart of Missouri Tourism Center, (573) 642-7692; or the Kingdom of Callaway Chamber of Commerce, (573) 642-3055.

© 2011 - Kingdom of Callaway Civil War Heritage